The Building Commissioner will be responsible for:
- the investigation and disciplinary action for misconduct in the building industry
- overseeing the end-to-end licensing and auditing across the building industry and
- driving legislative reforms of the building industry, including consultation with industry.
Premier Gladys Berejiklian said the appointment of Mr Chandler was part of the NSW Government’s commitment to implementing the biggest overhaul to building laws in the State’s history.
“David has more than 40 years’ industry experience, which will be invaluable as we move to restore confidence in the building and construction industry,” Ms Berejiklian said.
“We know there are national challenges affecting the industry, but this new appointment will play a key role in protecting NSW homeowners and driving critical reforms.”
Under legislation to be introduced later this year:
- building practitioners will be required to register
- a new duty of care will make it easier for home owners to seek compensation against negligent building practitioners and
- all buildings must be designed and constructed to plans that comply with the Building Code of Australia.
Minister for Better Regulation Kevin Anderson said the Building Commissioner’s priority will be to continue the extensive work already started by the NSW Government to reform the building and construction industry by lifting building standards across NSW and ensuring better protections for homeowners and purchasers.
Mr Chandler has welcomed the opportunity to work with the Government to strengthen the building and construction industry.
“Recent events have reduced community confidence in how buildings are designed and constructed and how they perform, but I welcome the leadership and commitment being shown by the Government to implement change that will strengthen the construction industry foundations in NSW,” Mr Chandler said.
Mr Chandler will start in the position on 14 August 2019.
Keep on top of the latest Property news and updates by signing up for our newsletter here.
Never miss out on anything again- we will compile all the stories you need to know.